Total views : 1157
Ear Biometrics: A Survey on Ear Image Databases and Techniques for Ear Detection and Recognition
Identifying the people by using their ear is the emerging trend in the modern era. Biometrics deals with the procedure to identify people, by using their measurable, unique and permanent features such as fingerprint, iris, face, vein, DNA, hand writing, hand geometry and many more. Biometrics serves as integrated part of modern security systems. This paper discuss about the ear biometrics. Human ear is the unique and clearly visible trait that is permanent for his/her lifetime. The increasing age of human being affects very less on the ear. This paper provides a detailed survey of 16 most popular image databases available for ear biometrics, which will be helpful for the researchers on which they can perform the experiments. This paper includes a comparative study of techniques used for ear detection and ear recognition techniques. Current research work in ear biometrics is limited to database of images captured under certain conditions.
Authentication, Biometrics, Ear Recognition, Ear Detection, Ear Image Databases, Side Profile Images.
- NIST mugshot identification database (MID) (2014). Retrieved from http://www.nist.gov/srd/nistsd18.cfm.
- Abate, A. N. ( 2006). Ear recognition by means of a rotation invariant descriptor. 18th IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), (pp. 437-440).
- Abaza, A. (2008). High performance image processing techniques in automated identification systems. Ph.D. thesis, West Virginia University, Morgantown-WV.
- Al Nizami Ha, A.-H. J. (2009). A biometric database with rotating head videos and hand drawn face sketches. 3rd IEEE international conference on Biometrics: Theory, applications and systems, Piscataway, NJ,USA (pp. 38-43) IEEE Press.
- Alvarez, L. G. (2005). Fitting ear contour using an ovoid model. IEEE International Carnahan Conference on Security Technology, (pp. 145-148).
- Ansari, S. a. (2007). Localization of ear using outer helix curve of the ear. IEEE International Conference on Computing: Theory and Applications, (pp. 688-692).
- Arbabzavar, B. a. (2008). Robust log-gabor filter for ear biometrics. 18th IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR).
- Bertillon, A. (1896). Signaletic Instructions Including: The Theory and Practice of Anthropometrical Identification. R.W. McClaughry translation, The Werner Company.
- Chen, H. a. (2004). Human ear detection from side face range images. IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), (pp. 574-577).
- Chen, H. a. (2007). Human ear recognition in 3D. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 29, 4, 718-737.
- Chen, H. a. (2005). Shape model-based 3D ear detection from side face range images. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), (pp. 122-127).
- Choras, M. (2004). Human ear identification based on image analysis. 7th IEEE International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing (ICAISC).
- Choras, M. a. (2006). Geometrical algorithms of ear contour shape representation and feature extraction. 6th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications (ISDA).
- Cummings, A. N. (2010). A novel ray analogy for enrollment of ear biometrics. IEEE Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications, and Systems (BTAS).
- Fahmy, G. E. (2006). The effect of lighting direction/ condition on the performance of face recognition algorithms. SPIE Conference on Human Identification.
- Frejlichowski, D. a. (2010). The West Pomeranian University of Technology Ear Database: A Tool for Testing Biometric Algorithms. Image Analysis and Recognition. vol. 6112 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer, 227-234.
- Gao, W. C. (2004). CAS-PEAL. Retrieved from http://www.jdl.ac.cn/peal/home.htm
- Grgic, M. D. (2011). SCface: surveillance cameras face database. Multimedia Tools Appl. 51, 3, 863-879. Retrieved from http://www.scface.org/.
- Hailong, Z. a. (2009). Combining wavelet transform and orthogonal centroid algorithm for ear recognition. 2nd IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology.
- Hajsaid, E. A. (2008). Ear segmentation in color facial images using mathematical morphology. 6th IEEE Biometric Consortium Conference (BCC).
- Iannarelli, A. (1989). Ear Identification, Forensic Identification Series. Paramount Publishing Company, Fremont, CA.
- Islam, S. B. (2008). A fully automatic approach for human recognition from profile images using 2D and 3D ear data. 4th International Symposium on 3D Data Processing Visualization and Transmission.
- Jain, A. R. (2004). An Introduction to Biometric Recognition. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. Video Technol. 14, 1, 4-20.
- Kisku, D. R. (2009). SIFT-Based ear recognition by fusion of detected key-points from color similarity slice regions. IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computational Tools for Engineering Applications (ACTEA)., (pp. 380-385.).
- Kumar, A. a. (2007). Ear authentication using log-gabor wavelets. In SPIE Defense and Security Symposium. Vol. 6539.
- Kumar, A. a. (2012). Automated human identification using ear imaging. Pattern Recogn. 45, 3, 956-968.
- Moreno, B. S. (1999). On the use of outer ear images for personal identification in security applications. 33rd IEEE International Conference on Security Technology, (pp. 469 476).
- Mu, Z. Y. (2004). Shape and structural feature based ear recognition. 5th Chinese Conference on Biometric Recognition., (pp. 663-670).
- NCKUDB. (n.d.). Databases for Face Detection and Pose Estimation( National Cheng University of Taiwan Ear Database.). Retrieved from http://robotics.csie.ncku.edu.tw/Databases/FaceDetect_PoseEstimate.htm
- Phillips, P. J. (1998). The feret database and evaluation procedure for face recognition algorithms. Image Vis. Comput. 16, 5, 295-306.
- Prakash, S. a. (2011). An Efficient Ear Recognition Technique Invariant to Illumination and Pose. Telecommunication Systems Journal, special issue on Signal Processing Applications in Human Computer Interaction.30, 38-50.
- Prakash, S. J. (2009). A skin-color and template based technique for automatic ear detection. 7th IEEE International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition (ICAPR).
- Raposo, R. H. (2011). UBEAR: A dataset of ear images captured on-the-move in uncontrolled conditions. Computational Intelligence in Biometrics and Identity Management IEEE Workshop., (pp. 84-90).
- Raut, S. a. (2014). Review of Biometrics: Palm Vein Recognition System. IBMRD's Journal of Management & Research 3, 1, 217-223.
- Sana, A. a. (2007). Ear biometrics: A new approach. 6th International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition.
- UMIST. (2014). Face Database. ( University of Sheffield). Retrieved from http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/eee/research/iel/research/face
- UND. (2014). CVRL DATA SETS ( University of Notre Dame UND database). Retrieved from http://www3.nd.edu/∼cvrl/CVRL/Data_Sets.html
- USTB. (2014). Ear Recoginition Laboratory( University of science and technology Beijing USTB database). Retrieved from http://www1.ustb.edu.cn/resb/en/index.htm
- Wang, Y. M. (2008). Block-Based and multi-resolution methods for ear recognition using wavelet transform and uniform local binary patterns. 19th IEEE International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), (pp. 1-4).
- Watabe, D. S. (2008). Ear biometrics using jet space similarity. IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering (CCECE).
- Xiaoxun, Z. a. (2007). Symmetrical null space lda for face and ear recognition. Neuro Comput. 70, 4-6, 842-848.
- XM2VTS. (2014). The Extended M2VTS database. Retrieved from http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/CVSSP/xm2vtsdb
- Yan, P. a. (2005). Empirical evaluation of advanced ear biometrics. IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR).
- Yan, P. B. (2005). ICP-Based approaches for 3D ear recognition. In Proc. SPIE, Biometric Technol. Hum. Identif. II., (pp. 282-291.).
- Yuan L. and Zhang, F. (2009). Ear detection based on improved adaboost algorithm. 8
- th IEEE International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics (ICMLC).
- Yuizono, T. W. (2002). Study on individual recognition for ear images by using genetic local search. IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC), (pp. 237-242.).
- Zhou, J. C. (2010). Histograms of categorized shapes for 3D ear detection. IEEE Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications, and Systems (BTAS).
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.