Total views : 609
Perspectives of the Indian Banking Sector
Indian banks continued to manage growth with resilience during 2010-11 with ample reserves of capital and liquidity, improved performance in profitability and asset quality. With high growth potential of the Indian economy and favorable demographics, banks have immense opportunities to further expand their business both with traditional and innovative products and through financial inclusion using technology enabled sustainable business models. The prevailing interest rate environment and slowing growth in the near-term amidst somewhat skewed exposures to interest sensitive sectors will require adept management of such exposures going forward. It will be challenging for banks to raise additional capital and liquidity to support higher growth and to comply with Base III stipulations. The challenge to converge with the International Financial Reporting System would require banks to upgrade infrastructure including information technology and human resources. Given the focus on inclusive growth, banks are also expected to renew efforts to broaden the scope of financial inclusion and use viable business models to achieve their targets. Finally, sustained pursuit of forward looking strategies aimed at mitigating risks, diversifying revenue sources, containing asset-liability mismatches, providing effective response to changing global market environment and improving customer relationships should strengthen the overall growth of the banking sector.
- Avadhani, V.A., 2006. Marketing and Financial Services.3rd ed. Himalaya Publishing House.
- IIBF, 2005 Principles and Practices of Banking 2nd ed. MacMillan India Ltd.
- Kothari, C.R.,1985. Research Methodology Methods and Technoques.1st ed. New Age InterNational (P) Ltd.
- RBI Publications, 2011. Reports on Trend and Progress of Banking in India. (online) Available at:www.rbidocs.rbi.org/Kondigre(Accessed 18 January 2012@3 pm)
- Banks in India, 2011. Indian Banking Sector. (online) Available at: www.iloveindia.com/finance/bank/Kondigre (Accessed 20/01/2012 @1 pm)
- There are currently no refbacks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.